Chamre Bhat is a traditional Nepali dish that is enjoyed by many people in the Himalayan regions of Nepal. It is a simple yet flavorful dish that is made with two main ingredients: rice and black lentils.
The dish is prepared by first soaking the rice and lentils overnight, then cooking them together in a pot with water and a few spices such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric. The result is a fragrant and delicious rice and lentil pilaf that is perfect as a main dish or as a side dish to complement other Nepalese foods.
Chamre Bhat is often served with a side of yogurt or achar (a spicy pickle made with vegetables or fruit), which adds a tangy flavor to the dish. It is also a popular dish to serve during festivals and celebrations in Nepal.
The dish is not only delicious, but it is also a nutritious source of protein and carbohydrates, making it a staple food for many Nepalese people. It is a great example of how simple ingredients can be transformed into a satisfying and flavorful dish that is beloved by many.
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/2 cup of black lentils (urad dal)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- Rinse the rice and lentils in cold water and soak them in water separately for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water from the rice and lentils and rinse them again.
- In a pot, add the soaked rice, lentils, and 4 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the cumin seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Let the mixture cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice and lentils are fully cooked and have absorbed all the water.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cooked rice and lentil mixture to the pan and stir well.
- Cook the mixture for a few more minutes until it is heated through and all the flavors have combined.
- Serve the Chamre Bhat hot, topped with a spoonful of yogurt or a side of spicy achar (pickle) for added flavor.
Chamre Bhat is a simple yet flavorful dish that is enjoyed by many Nepali people. With just a few basic ingredients and spices, you can create a satisfying and nutritious meal that is perfect as a main dish or as a side dish to complement other Nepali foods.