Dharan, a sub-metropolitan city in Sunsari District of Province No. 1, Nepal, is a vibrant and culturally rich city. Established as the fourth municipality in the Kingdom in 1958, Dharan is the third most populous city in Eastern Nepal after Biratnagar and Itahari. The city is located on the foothills of the Mahabharat Range in the north, with its southern tip touching the edge of the Terai region.
Dharan is known for its diverse ethnic groups, including Rai, Limbu, Newar, Chhetri, Tamang, Hill Brahmin, and Kami. The city is a melting pot of cultures, languages, and traditions, making it a fascinating place to explore. The city is also home to several notable attractions, including the Budha Subba temple, an important religious site for Nepali Hindus, and the Gurkha Memorial Park, which commemorates the legacy of the Brigade of Gurkhas in Dharan.
The city's infrastructure is well-developed, with a range of services available to residents, including several local newspapers, radio stations, and television channels. Dharan is also an educational hub, with a number of educational institutions located within the city. The city's motto is "To build an environmentally sound city, functioning as the centre of education, health, tourism and business with fully developed infrastructure", reflecting its commitment to sustainable development and progress.
Here are some things to do in Dharan, Nepal:
- Visit the Pindeshwor Temple: This is a popular Hindu temple in Dharan. It's a great place to experience the local culture and spirituality.
- Explore the Dharan Clock Tower: This is a landmark in the city and a popular meeting point. It's surrounded by markets and shops, making it a bustling area.
- Spend time at the Buda Subba Temple: This is another important religious site in Dharan. It's dedicated to an ancient Limbu king and is considered a sacred place by many.
- Visit the Namaste Falls: This beautiful waterfall is a great place for nature lovers. It's a bit of a hike to get there, but the views are worth it.
- Explore the Dantakali Temple: This is a famous Hindu temple dedicated to the goddess Dantakali. It's a significant pilgrimage site and is visited by many devotees.
- Visit the Tarahara Tower: This tower offers panoramic views of the city and the surrounding countryside. It's a great place to take photos.
- Go to the Dharan Mall: This is a modern shopping mall where you can find a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Visit the Vijayapur Hill: This hill is a popular spot for picnics and offers beautiful views of the city.
Remember to check the local COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions before planning your visit. Enjoy your trip!