Puwa is a traditional Nepali dish that is popular in the country's western region. It is a type of porridge made from grains such as millet or buckwheat, and is often served as a breakfast or lunch dish.
To prepare Puwa, the grains are first washed and soaked overnight. The next day, the soaked grains are drained and ground into a coarse paste. The paste is then mixed with water and cooked over low heat until it thickens into a porridge-like consistency.
Puwa can be served plain or with a variety of toppings and accompaniments. It is often garnished with ghee, roasted sesame seeds, or chopped nuts, and can be served with yogurt, pickles, or chutney on the side.
Puwa is a nutritious and filling dish that is popular among Nepali communities, particularly in rural areas. It is a simple yet hearty meal that is easy to prepare and can be customized with different flavors and toppings.
Puwa is a delicious Nepali dish that is worth trying if you are interested in exploring the country's cuisine. Whether you enjoy it plain or with toppings, it is a satisfying and wholesome dish that will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied.
Certainly, here's a recipe for making Puwa along with the ingredients needed:
- 1 cup of millet or buckwheat
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Ghee (clarified butter), for serving
- Roasted sesame seeds, chopped nuts or other toppings, as desired
- Rinse the millet or buckwheat in cold water and soak overnight in plenty of water.
- The next day, drain the soaked grains and grind them into a coarse paste in a food processor or blender.
- In a large pot, bring the 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the salt and slowly stir in the ground grain mixture.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes or until it has thickened into a porridge-like consistency.
- Once the Puwa is cooked, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the Puwa in bowls, garnished with a dollop of ghee and a sprinkling of roasted sesame seeds or chopped nuts.
Enjoy your delicious Puwa! This hearty porridge makes a nutritious and filling breakfast or lunch, and can be customized with your favorite toppings and accompaniments.